Real-time Conformational Dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 Spikes on Virus Particles
Pradeep D Uchil,
Daniel S Terry,
Sai Priya Anand,
Jonathan R. Grover,
David D Ho,
John R Mascola,
Peter D Kwong,
Posted 10 Sep 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.09.10.286948 (published DOI: 10.1016/j.chom.2020.11.001)
Posted 10 Sep 2020
SARS-CoV-2 spike (S) mediates entry into cells and is critical for vaccine development against COVID-19. Structural studies have revealed distinct conformations of S, but real-time information that connects these structures, is lacking. Here we apply single-molecule Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (smFRET) imaging to observe conformational dynamics of S on virus particles. Virus-associated S dynamically samples at least four distinct conformational states. In response to hACE2, S opens sequentially into the hACE2-bound S conformation through at least one on-path intermediate. Conformational preferences of convalescent plasma and antibodies suggest mechanisms of neutralization involving either competition with hACE2 for binding to RBD or allosteric interference with conformational changes required for entry. Our findings inform on mechanisms of S recognition and conformations for immunogen design. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest.
- Downloaded 1,483 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 14,642
- In microbiology: 850
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 28,866
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 44,085
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!