Is there a need for preoperative α-blocker in patients missed preoperative diagnosis of extra-adrenal retroperitoneal paraganglioma undergoing paraganglioma resection? A retrospective study of 167 cases at a single center
Background Preoperative α-adrenergic blockade is believed to decrease perioperative risks and mortality in adrenal pheochromocytoma surgeries. The aim of this study is to evaluate the effects of the preoperative α-adrenergic blockade on patients’ outcomes in extra-adrenal retroperitoneal paraganglioma surgeries. Methods We searched our clinical database for the diagnosis extra-adrenal retroperitoneal paraganglioma by postoperative histopathology in the General Hospital of People’s Liberation Army from 2000 till 2017. And we recorded preoperative status of patients, preoperative medication preparation, intraoperative and postoperative cardiovascular events, intake and output, length of stay in ICU, length of hospital stay, and short time outcomes. Results The intraoperative morbidity of heart rate elevation and highest heart rate were higher in patients undergoing tumor manipulation with preoperative α-adrenergic blockade than those without ( P <0.05), while there were no significant differences in intraoperative morbidity of blood pressure elevation and SAP decreased following tumorectomy in these two groups ( P >0.05). There were no significant differences in postoperative complications and outcomes ( P >0.05). Conclusion Under the current medical techniques, either with or without preoperative medicine, resection of extra-adrenal retroperitoneal paraganglioma could be carried out successfully.
- Downloaded 120 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 137,961
- In physiology: 1,628
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 120,203
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 86,483
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!