The piRNA pathway safeguards genomic integrity by silencing transposable elements in the germline. While Piwi is the central piRNA factor, others including Asterix/Gtsf1 have also been demonstrated to be critical for effective silencing. Here, using eCLIP with a custom informatic pipeline, we show that Asterix/Gtsf1 specifically binds tRNAs in cellular contexts. We determined the structure of mouse Gtsf1 by NMR spectroscopy and identified the RNA binding interface on the protein's first zinc finger, which was corroborated by biochemical analysis as well as cryo-EM structures of Gtsf1 in complex with co-purifying tRNA. We further show that LTR retrotransposons are preferentially de-repressed in Asterix mutants. Given the role of tRNAs as LTR retrotransposon primers, our work implicates Asterix/Gtsf1 as exploiting tRNA dependence to identify transposon transcripts and promote piRNA silencing. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest.
- Downloaded 572 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 48,512
- In biochemistry: 1,251
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 45,676
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 58,210
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!