Multiomic Immunophenotyping of COVID-19 Patients Reveals Early Infection Trajectories
Venkata R Duvvuri,
D. Shane O’Mahony,
Christopher R Dale,
Julie A Wallick,
Heather A Algren,
Zager A Michael,
Nathan D. Price,
Jeffrey A. Bluestone,
Lewis L. Lanier,
Jason D Goldman,
James R Heath,
the ISB-Swedish COVID19 Biobanking Unit
Posted 28 Jul 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.07.27.224063
Posted 28 Jul 2020
Host immune responses play central roles in controlling SARS-CoV2 infection, yet remain incompletely characterized and understood. Here, we present a comprehensive immune response map spanning 454 proteins and 847 metabolites in plasma integrated with single-cell multi-omic assays of PBMCs in which whole transcriptome, 192 surface proteins, and T and B cell receptor sequence were co-analyzed within the context of clinical measures from 50 COVID19 patient samples. Our study reveals novel cellular subpopulations, such as proliferative exhausted CD8+ and CD4+ T cells, and cytotoxic CD4+ T cells, that may be features of severe COVID-19 infection. We condensed over 1 million immune features into a single immune response axis that independently aligns with many clinical features and is also strongly associated with disease severity. Our study represents an important resource towards understanding the heterogeneous immune responses of COVID-19 patients and may provide key information for informing therapeutic development. ### Competing Interest Statement J.R.H. is founder and board member of Isoplexis and PACT Pharma. M.M.D. is the board member of PACT Pharma. J.A.B. is a member of the Scientific Advisory Boards of Arcus, Celsius, and VIR. JAB is a member of the Board of Directors of Rheos and Provention. JAB has recently joined Sonoma Biotherapeutics as President and CEO. Sonoma Biotherapeutics is involved in developing novel Treg-based cell therapies for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. The remaining authors declare no competing interests.
- Downloaded 3,142 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 6,859
- In immunology: 274
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 38,961
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 53,074
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!