Phase separation induced by cohesin SMC protein complexes
Hon Wing Liu,
Ralph de Groot,
Allard J. Katan,
Posted 14 Jun 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.06.13.149716
Posted 14 Jun 2020
Cohesin is a key protein complex that organizes the spatial structure of chromosomes during interphase. Here, we show that yeast cohesin shows pronounced clustering on DNA in an ATP-independent manner, exhibiting all the hallmarks of phase separation. In vitro visualization of cohesin on DNA shows DNA-cohesin clusters that exhibit liquid-like behavior. This includes mutual fusion and reversible dissociation upon depleting the cohesin concentration, increasing the ionic strength, or adding 1,6-hexanediol, conditions that disrupt weak interactions. We discuss how bridging-induced phase separation can explain the DNA-cohesin clustering through DNA-cohesin-DNA bridges. We confirm that, in vivo, a fraction of cohesin associates with chromatin in yeast cells in a manner consistent with phase separation. Our findings establish that SMC proteins can exhibit phase separation, which has potential to clarify previously unexplained aspects of in vivo SMC behavior and constitute an additional principle by which SMC complexes impact genome organization. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest.
- Downloaded 1,461 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 6,912 out of 100,699
- In biophysics: 209 out of 4,433
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 1,324 out of 100,699
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: None out of 100,699
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 20 Oct 2020: Support for sorting preprints using Twitter activity has been removed, at least temporarily, until a new source of social media activity data becomes available.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!