Paxillin Promotes ATP-induced Activation of P2X7 Receptor and NLRP3 Inflammasome
Posted 03 Apr 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.04.03.023721
Posted 03 Apr 2020
The stimulation of P2X7 receptor by extracellular ATP leads to activation of NLRP3 inflammasome and release of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Here, we reveal a distinct mechanism by which Paxillin promotes ATP-induced activation of P2X7 receptor and NLRP3 inflammasome. Extracellular ATP induces Paxillin phosphorylation and facilitates Paxillin-NLRP3 interaction. Interestingly, Paxillin enhances NLRP3 deubiquitination and activates NLRP3 inflammasome upon ATP treatment and K+ efflux. Moreover, we reveal that UPS13 is a key enzyme for Paxillin-mediated NLRP3 deubiquitination upon ATP treatment. Notably, extracellular ATP promotes Paxillin and NLRP3 migration from cytosol to plasma membrane and facilitates P2X7-Paxillin interaction and Paxillin-NLRP3 association, resulting in the formation of P2X7-Paxillin-NLRP3 complex. Functionally, Paxillin is essential for ATP-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation in mouse BMDMs and BMDCs as we as in human PBMCs and THP-1-differentiated macrophages. Thus, Paxillin plays key roles in ATP-induced activation of P2X7 receptor and NLRP3 inflammasome by facilitating the formation of the P2X7-Paxillin-NLRP3 complex.
- Downloaded 229 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 108,524
- In immunology: 3,145
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 97,986
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 71,846
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!