Structure-Based Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Peptidomimetic Aldehydes as a Novel Series of Antiviral Drug Candidates Targeting the SARS-CoV-2 Main Protease
Posted 28 Mar 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.03.25.996348
Posted 28 Mar 2020
SARS-CoV-2 is the etiological agent responsible for the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan. Specific antiviral drug are urgently needed to treat COVID-19 infections. The main protease (Mpro) of SARS-CoV-2 is a key CoV enzyme that plays a pivotal role in mediating viral replication and transcription, which makes it an attractive drug target. In an effort to rapidly discover lead compounds targeting Mpro, two compounds (11a and 11b) were designed and synthesized, both of which exhibited excellent inhibitory activity with an IC50 value of 0.05 μM and 0.04 μM respectively. Significantly, both compounds exhibited potent anti-SARS-CoV-2 infection activity in a cell-based assay with an EC50 value of 0.42 μM and 0.33 μM, respectively. The X-ray crystal structures of SARS-CoV-2 Mpro in complex with 11a and 11b were determined at 1.5 Å resolution, respectively. The crystal structures showed that 11a and 11b are irreversible, the aldehyde groups of which are bound covalently to Cys145 of Mpro. Both compounds are promising drug leads with clinical potential that merits further studies.
- Downloaded 2,190 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 7,129
- In biochemistry: 127
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 23,901
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 33,332
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!