Circular RNAs (circRNAs) are widely expressed, but their functions remain largely unknown. To study circRNAs in a high-throughput manner, short hairpin RNA (shRNA) screens have recently been used to deplete circRNAs by targeting their unique back-splicing junction (BSJ) sites. Here, we report frequent discrepancies between shRNA-mediated circRNA knockdown efficiency and the corresponding biological effect, raising pressing concerns about the robustness of shRNA screening for functional circRNAs. To address this issue, we leveraged the CRISPR/Cas13d system for circRNAs functional screenings. We optimized a strategy for designing single guide RNAs to deplete circRNAs. We then performed shRNA and CRISPR/Cas13d parallel screenings and demonstrated that shRNA-mediated circRNAs screening yielded a high rate of false positives phenotypes, while optimized CRISPR/Cas13d led to the identification of bona-fide functional circRNAs. Collectively, we developed a specific and reliable approach to functionalize circRNAs in a high-throughput manner.
- Downloaded 1,147 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 31,111
- In molecular biology: 792
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 91,491
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 105,379
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!