Multimodal brain-age prediction and cardiovascular risk: The Whitehall II MRI sub-study
Ann-Marie G de Lange,
James H Cole,
Lars T. Westlye,
Klaus P. Ebmeier
Posted 29 Jan 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.01.28.923094 (published DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.117292)
Posted 29 Jan 2020
Brain age is becoming a widely applied imaging-based biomarker of neural aging and potential proxy for brain integrity and health. We estimated multimodal and modality-specific brain age in the Whitehall II MRI cohort using machine learning and imaging-derived measures of gray matter morphology, diffusion-based white matter microstructure, and resting state functional connectivity. Ten-fold cross validation yielded multimodal and modality-specific brain age estimates for each participant, and additional predictions based on a separate training sample was included for comparison. The results showed equivalent age prediction accuracy between the multimodal model and the gray and white matter models (R2 of 0.34, 0.31, and 0.31, respectively), while the functional connectivity model showed a lower prediction accuracy (R2 of 0.01). Cardiovascular risk factors, including high blood pressure, alcohol intake, and stroke risk score, were each associated with more apparent brain aging, with consistent associations across modalities.
- Downloaded 510 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 59,941
- In neuroscience: 8,752
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 99,038
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 103,167
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!