Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 67,594 bioRxiv papers from 298,298 authors.
Discovering in vivo cytokine eQTL interactions from a lupus clinical trial
Emma E. Davenport,
David von Schack,
Jean S. Beebe,
Michael S Vincent,
Posted 20 Mar 2017
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/118703 (published DOI: 10.1186/s13059-018-1560-8)
Posted 20 Mar 2017
Background: Cytokines are critical to human disease and are attractive therapeutic targets given their widespread influence on gene regulation and transcription. Defining the downstream regulatory mechanisms influenced by cytokines is central to defining drug and disease mechanisms. One promising strategy is to use interactions between expression quantitative trait loci (eQTLs) and cytokine levels to define target genes and mechanisms. Results: In a clinical trial for anti-IL-6 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus we measured interferon (IFN) status, anti-IL-6 drug exposure and genome-wide gene expression at three time points (379 samples from 157 individuals). First, we show that repeat transcriptomic measurements increases the number of cis eQTLs identified compared to using a single time point by 64%. Then, after identifying 4,818 cis-eQTLs, we observed a statistically significant enrichment of in vivo eQTL interactions with IFN status (p<0.001 by permutation) and anti-IL-6 drug exposure (p<0.001). We observed 210 and 72 interactions for IFN and anti-IL-6 respectively (FDR<20%). Anti-IL-6 interactions have not yet been described while 99 of the IFN interactions are novel. Finally, we found transcription factor binding motifs interrupted by eQTL interaction SNPs, pointing to key regulatory mediators of these environmental stimuli and therefore potential therapeutic targets for autoimmune diseases. In particular, genes with IFN interactions are enriched for ISRE binding site motifs, while those with anti-IL-6 interactions are enriched for IRF4 motifs. Conclusion: This study highlights the potential to exploit clinical trial data to discover in vivo eQTL interactions with therapeutically relevant environmental variables.
- Downloaded 960 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 8,392 out of 67,594
- In genomics: 1,304 out of 4,581
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 36,423 out of 67,594
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 23,934 out of 67,594
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!