Sex differences in Variability of Brain Structure Across the Lifespan
Natalie J Forde,
Grace R Jacobs,
Theodore D. Satterthwaite,
Russell T. Shinohara,
Stephanie H Ameis,
Aristotle N. Voineskos
Posted 15 Nov 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/842567
Posted 15 Nov 2019
Several brain disorders exhibit sex differences in onset, presentation, and prevalence. Increased understanding of the neurobiology of sex-based differences in variability across the lifespan can provide insight into both disease vulnerability and resilience. In n=3,069 participants, from 8-95 years of age, we first analyzed the variance ratio in females versus males of cortical surface area and global and subcortical volumes for discrete brain regions, and found widespread greater variability in males. In contrast, variance in cortical thickness was similar for males and females. These findings were supported by multivariate analysis accounting for structural covariance, and present and stable across the lifespan. We then examined variability among brain regions by sex. We found significant age-by-sex interactions across neuroimaging metrics, whereby in very early life males had reduced among-region variability compared to females, while in very late life this was reversed. Overall, our findings of greater regional variability but less among-region variability in males in early life may aid our understanding of sex-based risk for neurodevelopmental disorders. In contrast, our findings in late life may provide a potential sex-based risk mechanism for dementia.
- Downloaded 265 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 49,257 out of 77,873
- In neuroscience: 8,699 out of 13,950
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 15,624 out of 77,873
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 21,985 out of 77,873
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!