Fine-mapping of SNCA in REM sleep behavior disorder and overt synucleinopathies
Richard YJ Wu,
Jennifer A. Ruskey,
Sandra B. Laurent,
Michele T.M. Hu,
Kari Anne Bjørnarå,
Christelle Charley Monaca,
Valérie Cochen De Cock,
Gian Luigi Gigli,
Mike A Nalls,
Andrew B. Singleton,
23andMe Research Team,
Jacques Y. Montplaisir,
Owen A. Ross,
Bradley F. Boeve,
Edward A. Fon,
Ronald B. Postuma,
Guy A. Rouleau,
Posted 04 Sep 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/756528 (published DOI: 10.1002/ana.25687)
Posted 04 Sep 2019
Objective: REM-sleep behavior disorder (RBD) is a prodromal synucleinopathy, as >80% will eventually convert to overt synucleinopathy. We performed an in-depth analysis of the SNCA locus to identify RBD-specific risk variants. Methods: Full sequencing and genotyping of SNCA was performed in isolated/idiopathic RBD (iRBD, n=1,076), Parkinson's disease (PD, n=1,013), and dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB, n=415), and in control subjects (n=6,155). A replication cohort from 23andMe of PD patients with probable RBD (pRBD) was also analyzed (cases n=1,782, controls n=131,250). Adjusted logistic regression models and meta-analyses were performed. Effects on conversion rate were analyzed in 432 RBD patients with available data using Kaplan-Meier survival analysis. Results: A 5'-region SNCA variant (rs10005233) was associated with iRBD (OR=1.43, p=1.1E-08), which was replicated in pRBD. This variant is in linkage disequilibrium (LD) with other 5' risk variants across the different synucleinopathies. An independent iRBD-specific suggestive association (rs11732740) was detected at the 3' of SNCA (OR=1.32, p=4.7E-04, not statistically significant after Bonferroni correction). Homozygous carriers of both iRBD-specific SNPs were at highly increased risk for iRBD (OR=5.74, p=2E-06). The known top PD-associated variant (3' variant rs356182) had an opposite direction of effect in iRBD compared to PD. Interpretation: There is a distinct pattern of association at the SNCA locus in RBD as compared to PD, with an opposite direction of effect at the 3' of SNCA. Several 5' SNCA variants are associated with iRBD and with pRBD in overt synucleinopathies, and may suggest a cognitive component to this region.
- Downloaded 498 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 66,225
- In genetics: 2,875
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 74,044
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 90,583
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!