SORBS2 is a susceptibility gene to arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy
Michael J Ackerman,
Dao Wu Wang,
Dao Wen Wang,
Posted 05 Aug 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/725077
Posted 05 Aug 2019
BACKGROUND: Arrhythogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC) is an inherited cardiomyopathy characterized by right ventricular remodeling and ventricular arrhythmia. To date, 16 ARVC causative genes have been identified from human genetic studies, accounting for about 60% of ARVC probands. Genetic basis for the remaining 40% ARVC probands remain elusive. METHODS: Prompted by a zebrafish mutagenesis screen that suggested the Sorbin and SH3 domain-containing 2 (SORBS2) ortholog as a candidate cardiomyopathy gene, we conducted detailed expressionl analysis of Sorbs2 in mice, as well as phenotypic characterization in the Sorbs2 knock-out (KO) mice. The intercalated disc (ICD) expression pattern and ARVC-like phenotypes further prompted us to conduct targeted sequencing of human patients with ARVC to search for rare variants in the SORBS2 gene. RESULTS: Sorbs2 is robustly expressed in the mouse heart, encoding an adhesion junction/desmosome protein that is mainly localized to the ICD. A mutation with near complete depletion of the Sorbs2 protein in mouse results in phenotypes characteristic of human ARVC, such as dilated right ventricle (RV), RV dysfunction, spontaneous ventricular tachycardia (VT), and premature death. Sorbs2 is required to maintain the structural integrity of ICD. Its absence resulted in profound cardiac electrical remodeling with impaired impulse conduction and action potential derangements. Five rare variants were identified from a cohort of 59 ARVC patients, among which two variants affect splicing. CONCLUSIONS: Sorbs2 KO mouse is an ARVC model and SORBS2 is a new ARVC susceptibility gene.
- Downloaded 411 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 75,171
- In genetics: 3,282
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 87,023
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 28,668
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!