Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 57,529 bioRxiv papers from 264,889 authors.
During development, oligodendrocytes contact and wrap neuronal axons with myelin. Similar to neurons and synapses, excess myelin sheaths are produced and selectively eliminated. However, unlike these other structures, almost nothing is known about myelin sheath elimination. Microglia, the resident immune cells of the CNS, refine the developing CNS by engulfing surplus neurons and synapses. To determine if microglia also prune myelin sheaths, we used zebrafish to visualize and manipulate interactions between microglia, oligodendrocytes, and neurons during development. We found that microglia closely associate with oligodendrocytes and specifically phagocytose myelin sheaths. Silencing neuronal activity with botulinum toxin (BoNT/B) increased myelin engulfment by microglia. Furthermore, oligodendrocytes maintained excessive myelin sheaths following microglial ablation. Our work reveals a neuronal activity-regulated role for microglia in regulating myelination by oligodendrocytes.
- Downloaded 447 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 19,981 out of 57,529
- In neuroscience: 3,319 out of 10,118
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 4,310 out of 57,529
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 4,480 out of 57,529
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!