Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 64,772 bioRxiv papers from 287,133 authors.
Influence of genetic variants on gene expression in human pancreatic islets – implications for type 2 diabetes
Martijn van de Bunt,
Rashmi B. Prasad,
Andrew Anand Brown,
Michael R. Erdos,
Apoorva K Iyengar,
Patrick E MacDonald,
Jocelyn E Manning Fox,
Nikolaos I Panousis,
Michael L. Stitzel,
Francis S. Collins,
Karen L Mohlke,
Laura J. Scott,
Stephen C.J. Parker,
Mark I McCarthy
Posted 31 May 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/655670
Posted 31 May 2019
Most signals detected by genome-wide association studies map to non-coding sequence and their tissue-specific effects influence transcriptional regulation. However, many key tissues and cell-types required for appropriate functional inference are absent from large-scale resources such as ENCODE and GTEx. We explored the relationship between genetic variants influencing predisposition to type 2 diabetes (T2D) and related glycemic traits, and human pancreatic islet transcription using RNA-Seq and genotyping data from 420 islet donors. We find: (a) eQTLs have a variable replication rate across the 44 GTEx tissues (<73%), indicating that our study captured islet-specific cis-eQTL signals; (b) islet eQTL signals show marked overlap with islet epigenome annotation, though eQTL effect size is reduced in the stretch enhancers most strongly implicated in GWAS signal location; (c) selective enrichment of islet eQTL overlap with the subset of T2D variants implicated in islet dysfunction; and (d) colocalization between islet eQTLs and variants influencing T2D or related glycemic traits, delivering candidate effector transcripts at 23 loci, including DGKB and TCF7L2. Our findings illustrate the advantages of performing functional and regulatory studies in tissues of greatest disease-relevance while expanding our mechanistic insights into complex traits association loci activity with an expanded list of putative transcripts implicated in T2D development.
- Downloaded 920 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 8,458 out of 64,772
- In genomics: 1,312 out of 4,433
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 1,955 out of 64,772
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 7,157 out of 64,772
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!