Age-dependent sexual dimorphism in the adult human gut microbiota
Posted 24 May 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/646620
Posted 24 May 2019
A decade of studies has established the importance of the gut microbiome in human health. In spite of sex differences in the physiology, lifespan, and prevalence of many age-associated diseases, sex and age disparities in the gut microbiota have been little studied. Here we show age-related sex differences in the adult gut microbial composition and functionality in two community-based cohorts from Northern China and the Netherlands. Consistently, women harbour a more diverse and stable microbial community across broad age ranges, whereas men exhibit a more variable gut microbiota strongly correlated with age. Reflecting the sex-biased age-gut microbiota interaction patterns, sex differences observed in younger adults are considerably reduced in the elderly population. Our findings highlight the age- and sex-biased differences in the adult gut microbiota across two ethnic population and emphasize the need for considering age and sex in studies of the human gut microbiota.
- Downloaded 770 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 30,584
- In genomics: 2,750
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 64,511
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 47,975
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!