The orientation and wobbling behavior of the fluorescent dipoles are of great significance in revealing the structure and state of cells. Due to the poor optical sectioning capability of wide-field microscopy, the polarization modulation signals are susceptible to the neighboring fluorophores. The missing cone of wide field optical transfer function induces vast out-of-focus background, resulting in biased polarization orientation and decrease polarization factor. Here, we apply polarized structured illumination to achieve polarization modulation imaging with optical sectioning, and simultaneously measure the lipid polarity with two-color ratiometric imaging. Our results demonstrate a significant increase in measurement accuracy of not only the dipole orientations but also the wobbling behavior of the ensemble dipole. Compared to the conventional confocal polarization imaging, our method obtains an order-of-magnitude faster imaging speed, capturing the fast dynamics of subcellular structures in live cells.
- Downloaded 430 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 39,961 out of 94,912
- In biophysics: 1,582 out of 4,144
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 41,626 out of 94,912
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 52,324 out of 94,912
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!