Proinflammatory and autoimmunogenic gut microbiome in systemic lupus erythematosus
Wei A He,
Posted 29 Apr 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/621995
Posted 29 Apr 2019
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), characterized by chronic inflammation and multi-organ damage, has been suggested to associate with gut dysbiosis, but knowledge is limited from small sample size and 16s rRNA-based studies. To shed new light on the role of microbiota in SLE development, we analyzed the fecal metagenome of 117 treatment-naive SLE patients and 115 sex- and age-matched healthy controls (HC) by deep-sequencing; in addition, 52 of the aforementioned patients have post-treatment fecal metagenome for comparison. We found significant differences in microbial composition and function between SLE and HC, revealing multiple plausible contributing bacterial species and metabolic pathways in SLE. In-depth SNP-based analysis revealed an oral-microbiome origin for two marker species, strengthening the importance of bacterial translocation in disease development. Lastly, we confirmed experimentally that peptides of SLE-enriched species mimicking autoantigens such as Sm and Fas could trigger autoimmune responses, suggesting a potential causal role of gut microbiota in SLE.
- Downloaded 799 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 31,456
- In microbiology: 1,867
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 46,769
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 67,184
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!