Mash Screen: High-throughput sequence containment estimation for genome discovery
Brian D Ondov,
Gabriel J Starrett,
Christopher B. Buck,
Adam M. Phillippy
Posted 01 Mar 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/557314 (published DOI: 10.1186/s13059-019-1841-x)
Posted 01 Mar 2019
The MinHash algorithm has proven effective for rapidly estimating the resemblance of two genomes or metagenomes. However, this method cannot reliably estimate the containment of a genome within a metagenome. Here we describe an online algorithm capable of measuring the containment of genomes and proteomes within either assembled or unassembled sequencing read sets. We describe several use cases, including contamination screening and retrospective analysis of metagenomes for novel genome discovery. Using this tool, we provide containment estimates for every NCBI RefSeq genome within every SRA metagenome, and demonstrate the identification of a novel polyomavirus species from a public metagenome.
- Downloaded 1,608 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 5,241 out of 89,715
- In bioinformatics: 951 out of 8,461
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 35,972 out of 89,715
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 43,757 out of 89,715
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!