Sets of Co-regulated Serum Lipids are Associated with Alzheimer Disease Pathophysiology
Dinesh Kumar Barupal,
Andrew J. Saykin,
Peter J Meikle,
for the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative,
the Alzheimer Disease Metabolomics Consortium
Posted 18 Feb 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/550723
Posted 18 Feb 2019
INTRODUCTION: Altered regulation of lipid metabolism in Alzheimer disease (AD) can be characterized using lipidomic profiling. METHOD: 341 serum lipids were measured in 806 participants enrolled in the Alzheimer Disease Neuroimaging Initiative Phase 1 (ADNI1) cohort and analysed using lipid regression models and lipid set enrichment statistics. RESULTS: AD diagnosis was associated with 7 of 28 lipid sets of which four also correlated with cognitive decline, including polyunsaturated fatty acids. CSF amyloid beta Aβ1-42 correlated with glucosylceramides, lysophosphatidyl cholines and unsaturated triacylglycerides; CSF total tau and brain atrophy correlated with monounsaturated sphingomyelins and ceramides, in addition to EPA-containing lipids. DISCUSSION: Lipid desaturation, elongation and acyl chain remodeling are dysregulated across the spectrum of AD pathogenesis. Monounsaturated lipids were important in early stages of AD, while polyunsaturated lipid metabolism was associated with later stages of AD.
- Downloaded 395 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 43,740 out of 94,912
- In neuroscience: 7,596 out of 16,862
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 76,484 out of 94,912
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 82,735 out of 94,912
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!