Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 67,125 bioRxiv papers from 295,505 authors.
Solubilization kinetics determines the pulsatory dynamics of lipid vesicles exposed to surfactant
We establish a biophysical model for the dynamics of lipid vesicles exposed to surfactants. The solubilization of the lipid membrane due to the insertion of surfactant molecules induces a reduction of membrane surface area at almost constant vesicle volume. This results in a rate-dependent increase of membrane tension and leads to the opening of a micron-sized pore. We show that solubilization kinetics due to surfactants can determine the regimes of pore dynamics: either the pores open and reseal within a second (short-lived pore), or the pore stays open up to a few minutes (long-lived pore). First, we validate our model with previously published experimental measurements of pore dynamics. Then, we investigate how the solubilization kinetics and membrane properties affect the dynamics of the pore and construct a phase diagram for short and long-lived pores. Finally, we examine the dynamics of sequential pore openings and show that cyclic short-lived pores occur at a period inversely proportional to the solubilization rate. By deriving a theoretical expression for the cycle period, we provide an analytic tool to measure the solubilization rate of lipid vesicles by surfactants. Our findings shed light on some fundamental biophysical mechanisms that allow simple cell-like structures to sustain their integrity against environmental stresses, and have the potential to aid the design of vesicle-based drug delivery systems.
- Downloaded 188 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 49,921 out of 67,132
- In biophysics: 2,134 out of 2,846
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 56,005 out of 67,132
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 52,234 out of 67,132
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!