Formins play an important role in the polymerization of unbranched actin filaments, and particular formins slow elongation by 5-95%. We studied the interactions between actin and the FH2 domains of formins Cdc12, Bni1 and mDia1 to understand the factors underlying their different rates of polymerization. All-atom molecular dynamics simulations revealed two factors that influence actin filament elongation and correlate with the rates of elongation. First, FH2 domains can sterically block the addition of new actin subunits. Second, FH2 domains flatten the helical twist of the terminal actin subunits, making the end less favorable for subunit addition. Coarse-grained simulations over longer time scales support these conclusions. The simulations show that filaments spend time in states that either allow or block elongation. The rate of elongation is a time-average of the degree to which the formin compromises subunit addition rather than the formin-actin complex literally being in 'open' or 'closed' states.
- Downloaded 284 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 59,002 out of 94,912
- In biophysics: 2,518 out of 4,144
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 75,224 out of 94,912
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 71,488 out of 94,912
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!