Clathrin-mediated endocytosis (CME) is the major route of receptor internalization at the plasma membrane. Analysis of constitutive CME is complicated by the fact that initiation of endocytic events is unpredictable. When and where a clathrin-coated pit will form and what cargo it will contain are difficult to foresee. Here we describe a series of genetically encoded reporters that allow the initiation of CME on demand. This is achieved by inducibly tethering a clathrin "hook" to a plasma membrane "anchor". Our design incorporates temporal and spatial control of initiation using chemical and optical tools, and the cargo is defined. Since this system bypasses multiple steps in vesicle creation, we term it "hot-wiring". In this paper we use hot-wired endocytosis to define the functional interactions between clathrin and the β2 subunit of the AP2 complex. However, there are numerous applications for this new technology, which we hope will be broadly useful to the field.
- Downloaded 1,291 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 13,421
- In cell biology: 402
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 79,151
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 84,646
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!