Heterogeneous Responses of Hematopoietic Stem Cells to Inflammatory Stimuli are Altered with Age
Carl de Boer,
Monika S. Kowalczyk,
Abigail R. Knecht,
Posted 13 Jul 2017
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/163402 (published DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2018.11.056)
Posted 13 Jul 2017
Long-term hematopoietic stem cells (LT-HSCs) maintain hematopoietic output throughout an animal's lifespan. With age, however, they produce a myeloid-biased output that may lead to poor immune responses to infectious challenge and the development of myeloid leukemias. Here, we show that young and aged LT-HSCs respond differently to inflammatory stress, such that aged LT-HSCs produce a cell-intrinsic, myeloid-biased expression program. Using single-cell RNA-seq, we identify a myeloid-biased subset within the LT-HSC population (mLT-HSCs) that is much more common amongst aged LT-HSCs and is uniquely primed to respond to acute inflammatory challenge. We predict several transcription factors to regulate differentially expressed genes between mLT-HSCs and other LT-HSC subsets. Among these, we show that Klf5, Ikzf1 and Stat3 play important roles in age-related inflammatory myeloid bias. These factors may regulate myeloid versus lymphoid balance with age, and can potentially mitigate the long-term deleterious effects of inflammation that lead to hematopoietic pathologies.
- Downloaded 2,364 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 5,104
- In immunology: 128
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: None
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 113,998
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!