Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 57,524 bioRxiv papers from 264,866 authors.
Functional Connectivity Dynamics of the Resting State across the Human Adult Lifespan
Enrique CA Hansen,
Anthony R McIntosh,
Posted 09 Feb 2017
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/107243
Posted 09 Feb 2017
The aging brain undergoes alterations of both Structural Connectivity (SC) and time- averaged Functional Connectivity in the resting state (rs FC). Here, we show by means of functional MRI (fMRI) human brain imaging that aging also profoundly impacts on the spontaneous temporal reconfiguration of this rs FC. Analyzing time-dependent correlations between human rs fMRI blood oxygen level dependent (BOLD) time series, we describe Functional Connectivity Dynamics (FCD) as a switching between epochs of meta-stable FC and transients of fast network reconfiguration. We find that the flux of FCD markedly slows down and becomes more "viscous" across the adult lifespan (18-80 yrs), also accounting for the wide inter-subject variability of performance observed in cognitive screening tasks. Such remodeling of FCD discloses qualitatively novel effects of aging that cannot be captured by variations of SC or of static FC, opening the way to improved imaging-based characterizations of the functional mechanisms underlying cognitive aging.
- Downloaded 1,686 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 2,756 out of 57,524
- In neuroscience: 410 out of 10,117
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 10,130 out of 57,524
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 5,979 out of 57,524
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!