COVID-19 has already caused the deaths of over 2.5 million people worldwide. Patients with certain medical conditions and severe psychiatric disorders are at increased risk of dying from it. However, such people have a reduced life expectancy anyway, raising the question whether COVID-19 incurs a specific risk for such patients for dying, over and above the risk of dying from other causes. We analysed the UK Biobank data of half a million middle-aged participants from the UK. From the start of 2020 up to 24th January 2021, 894 participants had died from COVID-19 and another 4,562 had died from other causes. We demonstrate that the risk of dying from COVID-19 among patients with mental health problems, especially those with dementia, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder, is increased compared to the risk of dying from other causes. This increase among patients with severe psychiatric disorders cannot be explained solely by the higher rate of diabetes or cardiovascular disorders.
- Downloaded 121 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 126,272
- In psychiatry and clinical psychology: 613
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 26,262
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 3,789
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!