The regulatory role of the ribosome in gene expression has come into sharper focus. It has been proposed that ribosomes are dynamic complexes capable of changing their protein composition in response to enviromental stimuli. We applied both cryo-EM and mass spectrometry to identify such changes in S. cerevisiae 80S ribosomes. Cryo-EM shows a fraction (17%) of the ribosome population in yeast growing in glucose lack the ribosomal proteins RPL10 (ul16) and RPS1A/B (eS1). Unexpectedly, this fraction rapidly increases to 34% after the yeast are switched to growth in glycerol. Using quantitative mass spectrometry, we found that the paralog yeast ribosomal proteins RPL8A (eL8A) and RPL8B (eL8B) change their relative proportions in the 80S ribosome when yeast are switched from growth in glucose to glycerol. Using yeast genetics and polysome profiling, we show that yeast ribosomes containing either RPL8A or RPL8B are not functionally interchangeable. Our combined cryo-EM and quantitative proteomic data support the hypothesis that ribosomes are dynamic complexes that alter their composition and functional activity in response to changes in growth or environmental conditions.
- Downloaded 2,384 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 2,993 out of 100,488
- In microbiology: 233 out of 8,907
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 14,985 out of 100,488
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: None out of 100,488
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 20 Oct 2020: Support for sorting preprints using Twitter activity has been removed, at least temporarily, until a new source of social media activity data becomes available.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!