Cotton is an important textile crop whose gains in production over the last century have been challenged by various diseases. Because many modern cultivars are susceptible to several pests and pathogens, breeding efforts have included attempts to introgress wild, naturally resistant germplasm into elite lines. Gossypium stocksii is a wild cotton species native to Africa, which is part of a clade of vastly understudied species. Most of what is known about this species comes from pest resistance surveys and/or breeding efforts, which suggests that G. stocksii could be a valuable reservoir of natural pest resistance. Here we present a high-quality de novo genome sequence for G. stocksii. We compare the G. stocksii genome with resequencing data from a closely related, understudied species (G. somalense) to generate insight into the relatedness of these cotton species. Finally, we discuss the utility of the G. stocksii genome for understanding pest resistance in cotton, particularly resistance to cotton leaf curl virus.
- Downloaded 158 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 131,928
- In genomics: 7,035
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 39,734
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 114,636
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!