Before the Surge: Molecular Evidence of SARS-CoV-2 in New York City Prior to the First Report
Matthew M. Hernandez,
Ana S. Gonzalez-Reiche,
Adriana van De Guchte,
Mitchell J. Sullivan,
Shwetha Hara Sridhar,
Alberto E. Paniz-Mondolfi,
Melissa R. Gitman,
Michael D. Nowak,
Harm van Bakel,
Emilia M. Sordillo
Posted 11 Feb 2021
medRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2021.02.08.21251303
Posted 11 Feb 2021
New York City (NYC) emerged as a coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) epicenter in March 2020, but there is limited information regarding potentially unrecognized severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infections before the first reported case. We utilized a sample pooling strategy to screen for SARS-CoV-2 RNA in de-identified, respiratory pathogen-negative nasopharyngeal specimens from 3,040 patients across our NYC health system who were evaluated for respiratory symptoms or influenza-like illness during the first 10 weeks of 2020. We obtained complete SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences from samples collected between late February and early March. Additionally, we detected SARS-CoV-2 RNA in pooled specimens collected in the week ending 25 January 2020, indicating that SARS-CoV-2 caused sporadic infections in NYC a full month before the first officially documented case.
- Downloaded 9,620 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 1,017
- In infectious diseases: 315
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 227
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 11,878
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!