Tight regulation of the APC/C-Cdc20 ubiquitin ligase that targets Cyclin B1 for degradation is important for mitotic fidelity. The spindle assembly checkpoint (SAC) inhibits Cdc20 through the mitotic checkpoint complex (MCC). In addition, phosphorylation of Cdc20 by Cyclin B1-Cdk1 independently inhibits APC/C-Cdc20 activation. This creates a conundrum for how Cdc20 gets activated prior to Cyclin B1 degradation. Here we show that the MCC component BubR1 harbours both Cdc20 inhibition and activation activities, allowing for cross-talk between the two Cdc20 inhibition pathways. Specifically BubR1 acts as a substrate specifier for PP2A-B56 to enable efficient Cdc20 dephosphorylation in the MCC. A mutant Cdc20 mimicking the dephosphorylated state escapes a mitotic checkpoint arrest arguing that restricting Cdc20 dephosphorylation to the MCC is important. Collectively our work reveals how Cdc20 can be dephosphorylated in the presence of Cyclin B1-Cdk1 activity without causing premature anaphase onset.
- Downloaded 237 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 122,448
- In cell biology: 5,664
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 67,104
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 80,762
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!