Bt toxins bind to receptors in the brush border membrane of the insect gut and create pores, leading to insect death. Bt-resistant insects demonstrate reduced binding of the Bt toxins to gut membranes. However, our understanding of the gut receptors involved in Bt toxin binding, and which receptors confer resistance to these toxins is incomplete, especially in diamondback moth (Plutella xylostella), a major agricultural pest. Identifying receptors has remained challenging because we lack sufficiently sensitive methods to detect Bt receptor interactions. Here, we report a modified far-immunoblotting technique, which revealed a broad spectrum of binding targets for the Bt toxins Cry1Ac, Cry1Ab, and Cry1Bd in diamondback moth. We confirm the role of the glucosinolate sulfatases GSS1 and GSS2 in Cry1Bd toxicity. GSS1 and GSS2 bind directly to Cry1Bd, and their expression is crucial for Cry1Bd toxicity. These results improve our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of Bt toxicity.
- Downloaded 503 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 65,597
- In biochemistry: 1,744
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 105,141
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 75,475
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!