Night Shift Work Increases the Risk of Asthma
Hassan S Dashti,
Frank AJL Scheer,
Steven A Shea,
Simon D Kyle,
Deborah A Lawlor,
Andrew S. I. Loudon,
John F Blaikley,
Martin K. Rutter,
David W. Ray,
Hannah J Durrington
Posted 26 Apr 2020
medRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.04.22.20074369
Posted 26 Apr 2020
Shift work causes misalignment between our internal clock and daily behavioural cycles and is associated with metabolic disorders and cancer. Here, we describe the relationship between shift work and prevalent asthma in >280,000 UK Biobank participants. Compared to day workers, permanent night shift workers had a higher likelihood of moderate/severe asthma (odds ratio (OR) 1.36 (1.03-1.8)) and all asthma (OR 1.23 (1.03-1.46) after adjustment for known major confounders). The public health implications of this finding are far-reaching due to the high prevalence and co-occurrence of both asthma and shift work.
- Downloaded 500 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 60,133
- In epidemiology: 2,660
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 54,197
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 59,941
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!