The small molecular inhibitor of formin FH2 domains, SMIFH2, is widely used in cell biological studies. It was selected in a chemical screen as a compound inhibiting formin-driven actin polymerization in vitro , but not polymerization of pure actin, and found to be active against several types of formins from different species ([Rizvi et al., 2009]). Here, in experiments with cultured fibroblasts, we found that SMIFH2 inhibits retrograde flow of myosin 2 filaments and contraction of stress fibers. We further checked the effect of SMIFH2 on non-muscle myosin 2A and skeletal muscle myosin 2 in vitro and found that SMIFH2 inhibits myosin ATPase activity and ability to translocate actin filaments in the in vitro motility assay. While inhibition of myosin 2A in vitro required somewhat higher concentration of SMIFH2 than inhibition of retrograde flow and stress fiber contraction in cells, inhibition of several other non-muscle myosin types, e.g. mammalian myosin 10, Drosophila myosin 7a and Drosophila myosin 5 by SMIFH2, was equally or more efficient than inhibition of formins. Since actin polymerization and myosin contractility are linked in many cytoskeleton processes, additional careful analysis is needed in each case when function of formins was proposed solely on the basis of experiment with SMIFH2. : #ref-63
- Downloaded 763 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 38,847
- In cell biology: 1,521
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 27,024
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 26,030
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!